Friday, July 6, 2012

Make it do, or do without!

Remember the old adage "Use it up,
                                          Wear it Out,
                                          Make it Do,
                                          Or do Without"?
      My grandparents said that. My own parents said it. I even uttered it to my kids. Once.
What were we called? Thrifty. Penny-wise. Tight. Creative....

           Some people have been making do forever...I am one of them. Mine is more a crafty thing. I almost can't pass up a neglected object without thinking "Gee, I can make a......."
     Nowadays there a boodle of fancy names for it. "Green. Up-cycle. Re-cycle. Re-purpose. Salvage.Re-utilize.
      I know it absolutely drives my husband nuts when I drag something home.  I happen to have a pile of projects. In the spare room, in the potting shed, in the barn, in the basement, and sometimes on the kitchen table.
    Currently I have been making Purses and Aprons. I am very lucky to have friends that give me stuff. I have a good amount of Burlap Coffee Bags that I got from my friend Jo Khalifa at MoJo Roast. She is a "Personal Coffee Roaster". Good for me that she gets some killer coffee bags that she passes on!
    This is a Win-Win situation. She buys some of her coffees from the Cafe Feminino project. A portion of those proceeds go to women's causes in coffee producing countries. In turn, I receive the bags and am able to make purses and other items. The money from these not only funds my business, but allows me to give back in return.
    Leftover wood becomes garden trellis's, (usually painted some shocking color) Old jeans become quilts, Any kind of found boxes become planters....and so on.
   For those who know me, they know that found usually involves me tip-toeing cheerfully through some abandoned homestead, willfully plundering...:)  
    As much as I love Flea Markets, I try to stay away....I have found out that's where the Under Stuffed go to get more stuff! Too easy for this girl to get way too much.
   When was the last time you made something? Isn't creating fun?

Katy
  
  

                    

No comments:

Post a Comment